- January 10, 2023
- One Comment
What do you think? Have DoorDash earnings stayed solid, even now that more customers are eating in at restaurants and doing their own convenience store shopping? A look at the numbers that have come in for DoorDash driver pay tells us that customers’ appetites for delivery hasn’t slowed down much at all! Gridwise data show that DoorDash earnings have remained stable over the first three quarters of 2022.
In this post, we’ll answer all kinds of questions about DoorDash driver pay, including
- How much do DoorDashers make?
- How does DoorDash pay you?
- What makes driving for DoorDash worth it?
- How can you maximize DoorDash driver pay?
How much do DoorDashers make?
DoorDash drivers, or “Dashers” as they’re known, have had a very solid year in 2022. Median gross earnings remained at slightly less than $15.00 per hour for the second and third quarters. Dasher hourly pay was a few pennies less than Grubhub, and about $0.50 more than Uber Eats. If a Dasher clocks around 30 hours per week, then the answer to “How much do drivers make a week?” would be about $450, which isn’t bad at all!
When we ask “How much do drivers earn a month?” the answer tells us that not all Dashers are likely to be delivering full time. According to Gridwise data, Dashers made an average of only $223 per month from April to September of this year. That means the average driver was clocking just15 hours per month.
There could be many reasons for this. Not only might more people see Dashing as a part-time gig; they could be using DoorDash as part of a multi-apping gig strategy. Check out this Gridwise post on the art of multi-apping, and you’ll see how that’s done.
DoorDash would be a good gig for those who benefit from multi-apping, as peak hours are clustered around mealtimes. It’s likely drivers who want to make more per month will engage in other driving gigs or another side hustle to make up the difference, perhaps doing DoorDash only at times when there are plenty of orders.
The question, “How much do drivers make an hour?” isn’t really complete until we talk about tipping. DoorDash tips are usually a given. According to Gridwise data, Dashers raked in an average of $7.50 in tips per hour.
DoorDash tip numbers exceeded those of their food delivery competitors, including Uber Eats, Grubhub, Shipt, and Instacart. Maybe people are more familiar with DoorDash and like the service better, or it could be that Dashers receive more orders per hour than with other services. Either way, it appears that they make some decent cash with customer tips.
The app gives customers a chance to add a tip at the time of the order, and another opportunity once they receive their orders. There has been some controversy around DoorDash’s handling of driver tips. Learn more about the complaints, and how DoorDash addressed them, in this article from entrecourier.com.
How does DoorDash pay you?
The ways rideshare and delivery companies pay structure can be a key factor in their attractiveness to drivers. Dasher pay consists of the following:
- base pay: This is the contribution from DoorDash, which comes from the fee they charge the customer. The DoorDash Driver pay scale ranges from $2.00–$10.00, and is based on the estimated time, distance, and desirability of the order. DoorDash mileage pay can often make a small order seem well worth taking.
- promotions: Drivers can earn extra money on promotions that are offered for various reasons. Most of the time, the company will deploy them to get more workers to drive at peak times. Here are some examples:
- Peak pay is automatically added to orders when there is a lot of demand. This is the most common promotion you’ll see as a driver.
- Challenges give drivers the chance to earn more by completing a certain number of deliveries in a set amount of time. These incentives encourage drivers to become more efficient, and ultimately make DoorDash more appealing to customers.
- Guaranteed earnings are granted periodically, usually communicated by email or SMS, to DoorDash drivers. This offer promises that certain select drivers will earn a set amount of money within a set number of days, not including tips or other offers.
- tips: DoorDash, as we stated earlier, lets customers leave tips when they check out or after their order is delivered. Drivers keep 100% of their tips.
Read more about how DoorDash pay is calculated on the DoorDash website.
What makes driving for DoorDash worth it?
You probably have met at least one Dasher, if not at a party or in a class you both attend, then maybe when they brought your favorite burrito to the door. A lot of people drive for DoorDash, and there are good reasons. Here are a few.
- DoorDash is flexible. While you can schedule time blocks to work, it’s also possible, most of the time, for drivers to “Dash Now.” That means you can turn on the app and orders will come in. This works at peak times as well as when other drivers are less likely to schedule their shifts.
- DoorDash is a leader in the food delivery industry. Even if other companies go out of business, DoorDash will probably still be around. You see it in almost every town, and it serves most if not all restaurants and convenience stores in most areas. See how working with DoorDash vs. other delivery gigs compares in this Gridwise blog post.
- The DoorDash app and website are state of the art. DoorDash takes its business seriously and makes it easy for both customers and drivers to use their software. The app is easy to navigate, and the DoorDash website answers more questions than you could possibly think of.
- DoorDash earnings are relatively high. Although Dashers don’t earn as much hourly income as Amazon Flex, Lyft, or Uber drivers do, they make more than most of the drivers for other food delivery companies.
If you’re in search of more DoorDash driver advice, check out this article from Gridwise aimed at new and seasoned Dashers.
While DoorDash driver pay is somewhat high when compared to other food delivery gigs, no Dasher that wants to make more money will sit back and rest on their laurels. It not only pays to work as hard as you can, you can earn even more when you work “smart.”
What might this consist of? Here are some suggestions:
- Work for bigger tips. Doing more than just “your job” impresses most customers. Not only will you make more money, you’ll get more satisfaction from doing your work to the best of your ability. Read this Gridwise post for more ideas for getting bigger tips.
- Save on gas. When you’re a delivery driver, running up a high fuel bill is inevitable. Take advantage of money saving programs and challenge yourself to drive with fuel efficiency in mind. Here’s advice from Gridwise on ways to save on gas.
- Track your earnings. Get Gridwise and link it to your DoorDash account. Your earnings will be seamlessly recorded and placed into easy to read, informative graphs. Compare your earnings from month to month, or see what other drivers are making.
- Log your expenses. As an independent contractor, every Dasher has to keep an account of expenses such as mileage, fuel, and equipment. Gridwise is the best DoorDash mileage tracker because Gridwise is designed specifically for gig drivers. Not only can you track your total mileage, but for every app you sync with Gridwise, you’ll be able to see how much you’ve driven.
- Create a winning strategy. Don’t make your driving gig a process of trial and error. With Gridwise features Where to Drive and When to Drive, you can easily see when the peak hours for Dashing are in your area and choose your scheduled blocks or Dash Now option where and when there’s plenty of business to be had.
Gridwise also offers real-time information on weather, events, and traffic, which can save you from getting jammed up. There are also tons of deals and discounts for drivers that will make Dashing a high-earning dream!
Download the Gridwise app now!
Download Gridwise today
For iOS and Android
How much do door Dashers make in 2022? ›
So how much does DoorDash pay per hour and per trip? Our data shows Dashers made an average of $7.90 per trip and $15.72 per hour from January to March 2022. These numbers are lower than the rivals, with Grubhub drivers earning more per trip and Uber Eats drivers earning more per hour.Is it worth working for DoorDash 2022? ›
DoorDash has blown up in recent years, and it's still profitable in 2022. But if you just follow the official advice, you might end up working for less than minimum wage. Let's not do that. You can get a great hourly wage by dashing — around $20 per hour.How much does DoorDash pay Dashers? ›
Base pay from DoorDash to Dashers ranges from $2-$10+ per delivery depending on the estimated duration, distance, and desirability of the order. Deliveries that are expected to take more time, that require Dashers to travel a longer distance, and that are less popular with Dashers have higher base pay.What is the DoorDash bonus for March 2022? ›
*The 10% cash back reward will begin March 17, 2022, at which point Dashers will be able to earn 10% cash back on gas purchases at any U.S. station.How much can you make in 3 hours of DoorDash? ›
The average income for most DoorDash drivers ranges between $15 and $25 per hour. You may also earn more than this if you get plenty of additional income from tips for your orders. If you can work during peak times or maximize your delivery efficiency, you could be on the higher end of this scale.How much can you make doing 5 hours of DoorDash? ›
Plus, some people do like to reward good service with a nice tip. So, if I can do 4 deliveries an hour, I'll usually take home about $23 plus tips. If I drive for 5 hours I can earn myself over $100!" Bottom line: some orders will pay more, some will pay less.Is DoorDash raising pay? ›
The highly anticipated pay scale is mandated by a 2021 local law that requires a minimum wage for workers using apps such as DoorDash and Uber Eats. As proposed, the pay minimum would start $17.87 on Jan. 1, 2023, and increase to $23.82 by April 1, 2025.How do you get higher tips on DoorDash? ›
- Arrive on-time. Arrive to the store at or slightly before the quoted pickup time. ...
- Verify you are picking up the correct order. ...
- Check off each item in your Dasher app. ...
- Grab some freebies. ...
- Communicate with your customer. ...
- Follow delivery instructions.
|City||Annual Salary||Hourly Wage|
|New York City, NY||$44,378||$21.34|
So then how much can you make on DoorDash in a day? If you drive an 8 hour shift at the estimated $30 per hour rate, you'll earn around $240 for the day.
Do door Dashers make decent money? ›
While most people earn just a little extra cash driving for DoorDash, some drivers earn $40 or more per hour. Here's how they report to do it. Only accept large orders- DoorDash ranks you on your acceptance rate, but they won't stop you from driving without a warning first.Does DoorDash pay 15 an hour? ›
For your active 30 minutes, you'll receive DoorDash pay at the rate of $14 per hour which comes out to $7, plus 100% of any tips on top of that.